What is Hydroponics? Hydroponics Definition
Hydroponics is the process of growing plants in nutrient-rich water instead of soil. Regarding cannabis cultivation, hydroponics work well for indoor grow operations. Growing cannabis in the soil can be complicated and cost-prohibitive, so hydroponics offers a more efficient and streamlined solution. However, growers are divided on which method is better for getting the maximum yield from each plant.
Pros and Cons of Hydroponics
- Pro: Faster Growth – The main reason to use hydroponics is that plant roots don’t have to work as hard to extract nutrients from the water as they do with dirt. So, you can get more plants in less time.
- Con: Higher Upfront Cost – Hydroponic setups require more equipment and materials than growing in soil. So, you need more startup capital to get your operation off the ground (literally).
- Pro: Bigger Yields – Because plants can spend less time growing roots, they divert more energy into bud production. So, you can get more high-quality buds from each plant.
- Con: Delicate Operation – When all of your plants are drawing nutrients from the same water, it’s impossible to correct a mistake. Adding too many nutrients or the wrong mixture could contaminate and kill an entire crop. You need lots of practice and experience to get everything right.
- Pro: Better Pest and Disease Control – As a rule, cannabis pests thrive in the dirt. So, taking the soil out of the equation means you don’t have to worry as much about pest control solutions.
- Con: Higher Maintenance Costs – When growing cannabis in the soil, you can let nature take its course (to some extent). With hydroponics, you’re relying more on machinery. So, a simple outage or blown fuse could jeopardize your entire operation.
Can You Grow Cannabis Without Hydroponics?
Yes, it’s easy to grow cannabis plants in the dirt with planters and nutrient-rich additives. Hydroponics is just one option for those who want more control over their operation.
Related Glossary Terms for Hydroponics
Continue learning with these related glossary terms:
- Grow Bench
- Grow Room
- Flood Table
- Ebb & Flow
- Vertical Grow Rack
- TDS Meter
- Moisture Content
- Indoor Growing
Related Blog Posts for Hydroponics
- Grow Shelves For Your Commercial Operation: Benches, Tables, And Vertical Growing Systems
- Grow Room Setup And Design: What To Consider For Commercial Growers
- 6 Proven Ways To Increase Your Cannabis Yields [Commercial Growers Only]
Related Products for Hydroponics
- Mobile Vertical Grow Racks
- Static Vertical Grow Racks
- Grow Benches and Bench Systems
- Mobile Drying Rack
- Cloning Rack System
- Grow Room Humidifiers
- Grow Room Dehumidifiers
- Indoor LED Grow Lights
Back to Glossary